Plan Your Activity
Plan Your Activity
A HEALTHY SCHOOL FOR EVERY CHILD: Eliminating Hazards in Schools and Child Care Facilities
… making every school a safe and nurturing place for every child...
- See our Social Media Kit here
- School and Child Care Facility Design Tips
- See Collaborative for High Performance Schools at www.CHPS.net
- General Services Administration (GSA) Sustainable Facilities Tool for Child Care
- Proposed Federal Funding: Rebuild America’s Schools
- Eliminating Lead
- EPA on Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting Program
- EPA’s 3T’s for School and Child Care Drinking Water
- Chart of States Acting on Drinking Water
- CDC’s Lead Prevention Tips
- Healthy Schools Network Fact Sheet on Lead-Free Electronics
- Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Units (PEHSU) Fact Sheet on Lead in School and Child Care Drinking Water
- Eliminating Other Hazards
School and Childcare Officials:
- Notify the Community: Send home a letter detailing your school's drinking water initiative or other efforts to reduce onsite hazards.
- Present a Review of Facilities to the Board and to the Community.
Teachers and Students:
- Classroom Tip Sheet: Identify and prevent potential IAQ problems.
- Safer Pest Control (IPM) Poster: share this one, or make your own for your schools or child care center.
- Building Evaluation Walk-Through: Identify common trouble spots in and around school buildings where the sources of problems may hide.
- Inventory Cleaning Products: Identify cleaning products currently used and begin replacing them with safer substitutes.
Communities and Nongovernmental Organizations:
- Blogs, OpEds, Letters to Editor to distribute/post
- Webinars on key issues
- Sample Op-Ed: Personalize and submit this Sample Op-Ed, "Women, Children, and the Environment: What’s Happening at Your School?" to your local paper.
- Request a Tour: what to look for when visiting your school Tips for School Building Visits and Tours
- Host: Indoor Environmental Quality Workshop: Present and discuss child environmental health and indoor air quality using US EPA's IAQ Tools for Schools.
- Host: Green Cleaning Workshop: Present and discuss how to phase in green cleaning products.
- Healthy Schools Day Proclamation/Resolution: Ask your elected officials to support healthy school environments.