Plan Your Activity
Plan Your Activity
20th Annual National Healthy Schools Day is April 5th
Attend our National (virtual) Summit on April 5-6, 2022
Registration is FREE; donations are encouraged.
Resources for Parents and Personnel, Schools and Childcares, and their Communities:
- US Dept of Education Chart of COVID Bail Out Funds for Schools
- The Pandemic v. Schools: States Must Guide Schools on Reopening and Slowing Spread of Virus (Healthy Schools Network and New Jersey Work Environment Council, July 2020, 55pp with appendices). A collaboratively produced playbook for states that combines children’s environmental health and worker health and safety as the basis for the nation’s first-ever call for schools to have authoritative Infection Prevention and Control Plans. Co-released with American Public Health Association, National Association of School Nurses, Asthma and Allergy Association of America, New Jersey Education Association, Learning Disabilities Association of America, and supported by dozens of other organizations.
- How Can Airborne Transmission of COVID-19 Indoors be Minimized?, Video presentation. Presented on Friday, May 1, 2020 by Shelly L. Miller, Ph.D., is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering and faculty in the Environmental Engineering Program at the University of Colorado Boulder
- IAQ Design Tools for Schools, (US Environmental Protection Agency)
- Parent's Guide to School Indoor Air Quality: 6 pp, classic reference in the field of children's environmental health at school, written by and for parents; contains the basics of school IAQ, simple steps, what to ask for/look for, and what to do if no one listens and your child is still sick © 1997, 2003, 2012.
- ASHRAE Epidemic Task Force, Reopening Schools and Universities checklist for reopening schools
- CalOSHA Aerosol Transmissible Disease Standards (ATD)
- Indoor Air Quality - IAQ- Scientific Findings Resource Bank (IAQ-SFRB), (developed by the Indoor Environment Department of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory with funding support from the U.S. EPA)
- US Government Accountability Office (GAO) K-12 Education: School Districts Frequently Identified Multiple Building Systems Needing Updates or Replacement
- ASHRAE, Statement on airborne transmission of SARS-CoV-2: Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 through the air is sufficiently likely that airborne exposure to the virus should be controlled. Changes to building operations, including the operation of heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning systems, can reduce airborne exposures.
- Asthmagens Database, (Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics). Select "Display All Asthmagens" to view the complete list of substances reported as asthmagens by occupational asthma experts.
- Healthy Environments: A Compilation of Substances Linked to Asthma, a compilation of substances linked to asthma that are found in building materials, furnishings, and other similar items.
- Workplace/School Model Fragrance-Free Policy
- Mold and Dampness in Schools: 2 pp, outlines how to use the NIOSH Mold and Dampness Assessment Tool © 2019
- Mold in Schools, (US Environmental Protection Agency)
- IEQ Alert: Preventing Occupational Respiratory Disease from Exposures Caused by Dampness in Office Buildings, Schools, and Other Nonindustrial Buildings, November 2012, (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health)
CLEANING AND DISINFECTING
- Green Cleaning Can Help Schools Safely Open: February 2021 School Business Affairs magazine, reprinted with permission of the Association of School Business Officials International (ASBO).
- Disinfecting & Schools: Panel Presentations and Discussion Products and Equipment for Indoor Health, Webinar, Expert Panel organized by Healthy Schools Network, August 28, 2020
- Safer Disinfectants on EPA’s List of Anti-Microbial Products for Use Against the Novel Human Coronavirus, Responsible Purchasing Network, March 2020
- US EPA Six Steps for Safe and Effective Disinfecting
- New York State Joint Memo on Cleaning and Disinfecting Appendix C (2020)
- Washington State Department of Health on Cleaning for Healthy Schools
- Enhanced Green Cleaning Training Manual (NYS 2010)
- Cleaning for Healthy Schools (National Collaborative Work Group on Green Cleaning and Chemical Policy Reform in Schools)
OTHER HELPFUL GUIDANCE
- Building Evaluation Walk-Through: Identify common trouble spots in and around school buildings where the sources of problems may hide.
- School Health and Safety Committees: How to Promote Child and Adult Environmental Health 6 pp, includes schoolhouse illustration showing what to look for in a building walk-through inspection, public documents that may be useful, and tips on how to set up a committee © 2000.
- Safer Pest Control: Integrated Pest Management (IPM) for Schools
- Kick the Pesticide Habit: Children, Learning and Poisons Don't Mix: 4 pp, guide on pesticides, safer solutions, school application, IPM and more.
- School Renovation and Construction: What You Need to Know to Protect Child And Adult Environmental Health: 6 pp, detailed steps that all schools should take to protect occupants in buildings under renovation; highlights compliance with model NYS regulations © 2000, 2012.